Sunday, July 4, 2010

street vs book smarts

So I met a few folks from my Alma Mater earlier today, and was thinking back to the awesome time I had there. I also remember talking with a lecturer who was a self-made business owner and had made enough money to basically retire in his 40's but still taught business to keep busy. He heard I was going to a medical scientist training program, and he looked at me and said something to the effect of the following. "So, I've been thinking, and you know what could make you one of the richest men in the world? Find a cure for cancer. All the baby-boomers on the planet would spend their fortunes to save their lives."
Here was a guy with a lot of street smarts--he had used them successfully and made lots of money in the process. But his book smarts are a little rusty. There are literally thousands and thousands of scientists and doctors that have devoted their lives to curing cancer, some for altruistic reasons, some for monetary, many for both.
Anyways, it made me think which one I would rather have if I could only have one... Then it hit me "Duh! You DO only have one, and it's book smarts!" And that's that.